I wish I had not put it After

 AFTER  BUT WHEN LADY ?


Her hands were shaking when she unbuttoned her blouse.

"I've been meaning to come," she whispered, not looking at me. "For a year."

I could already see it. The asymmetry. The slight dimpling on the left side. Before I even touched her, I knew.

"Why now?" I asked gently.

"My daughter got married. Then my mother had a stroke. I kept thinking... after. After the wedding. After my mother recovers. After."

She finally looked at me. Her eyes were wet.

"Am i late, doctor?"

She was 51 years old.

She felt the lump last August. 

Not during a self-exam. Not at a routine checkup.

She felt it while trying on outfits for her daughter's wedding.

The boutique dressing room. Harsh lights. Mirror on three sides. She was adjusting the drape of a silk sari, lifting her arm, when her fingers brushed against it.

A lump. Hard. Unmistakable.

She froze.

Stared at herself in the mirror. The expensive sari. The wedding shopping bags at her feet. Her daughter's laughter floating in from the next room, trying on her own lehenga.

The fear started then. A cold knot in her stomach.

But she shoved it away.

"No negative thoughts. Not now. Not when I'm planning the biggest event of my daughter's life."

She pulled the sari tighter, smiled at her reflection, and walked out.

"This one is perfect, Ma!" her daughter called out.

"Yes," she said. "Perfect."

At home, her husband was bent over wedding lists. Guest seating. Catering numbers. Vendor payments. He was hypertensive, already stressed, constantly checking his blood pressure.

She thought about telling him.

Opened her mouth.

Closed it.

He looked up, irritated. "What? Did they mess up the order again?"

"No," she said. "Nothing. I'll handle it."

She always handled it.

October came. The wedding was beautiful. Her daughter glowed. The photographs captured a mother smiling, dancing, blessing.

No one knew about the lump.

Then November. Before she could make the appointment, her mother had a stroke.

It fell to her, as it always did. Three months of bedside care while the lump grew.

By February, when her mother finally stabilized, she could see the asymmetry in the mirror.

She made the appointment.

Between the Lines - What I See:

I've been an OB-GYN for 30 years.

What I saw in my exam room that day wasn't just a patient.

It was a woman who had pushed down her own survival for everyone else's convenience.

And now she was here..

When I examined her, her sister was with her. Holding her hand. Silent.

Her husband sat in the waiting room. When I called him in to discuss next steps, his first words were: "She's always like this. So careless. Always messes things up."

Not concern. Blame.

Her daughter - when she found out later - was furious. "Why didn't you tell me, Mom? I would have postponed everything!"

Anger born from guilt. From the unbearable knowledge that her wedding might have cost her mother's life.

Her sister placed a warm hand on hers and said nothing.

And her?

She sat there, absorbing it all. The blame. The anger. The fear.

I could see the pain in her eyes. Pain so deep that words couldn't touch it.

But she put on that warm smile I'd seen so many times before.

"No worries, doctor," she said softly. "I know it's just an ailment. And you know me - I've been through tough times. From conception to pregnancy. In my personal life, as we discussed some years ago."

She paused.

"I'll emerge as my positive self. I always do. I'll manage this. For my family. And maybe for me."

I looked at her.

I knew what I needed to say as her doctor. Supportive. Professional. Hopeful.

"Yes," I told her. "I know you. You will emerge. You're strong. And I'll be here with you every step."

That's what I said.

But inside?

Inside I was screaming.

Why? Why do women not prioritize themselves? WHY?

You felt a lump in a dressing room and shoved the thought away because negative thoughts don't belong at weddings?

Your husband was too stressed to tell? So you carried cancer alone?

And now you're calling it "just an ailment" and APOLOGIZING for taking up space?

When will you matter to yourself as much as everyone else matters to you?

But I didn't scream.

I chose what I always choose.

To be her companion. To hold space for her courage - even as I raged against everything that demanded it.

Few lines that ran through me..


Kaisi ajeeb hai ye zindagi

Chand rishton ki

Chand lamhon ki

Iski kashmakash mein kho baithe

Khud se milna hi bhool gaye

(How strange is this life

A few relationships

A few moments

Lost in its struggles

I forgot to even meet myself)

In that dressing room, with the lump under her fingers and her daughter's laughter in her ears, she made a choice. Everyone else first.

It's the choice I see women make so often.

The biopsy revealed the one thing that made her "I'll manage" smile break my heart.

What after and what first?- the choices women ought to make ...to follow in the next blog


Have you neglected a symptom - yours, your mother's, a friend's - because it wasn't "convenient"? 

Have you delayed care because someone else needed you more? As a woman? As a man? 

Share in the comments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embrace change with the Cup

Mind Body and She @ Menopause

Score a Six @Menopause